Wednesday, June 18, 2008

AurorasThings

This weeks Featured Seller is AurorasThings. I chose her because she lives in the state of Maine and I am originally from there. Just thought it would be nice to have someone from my home state here.

Here's what she had to share.

AurorasThings

Tell me a bit about yourself.
Hi, my name is Dawn, I'm 27 years old and I'm from Maine. I'm a Christian stay-at-home mother, I have 3 children with one on the way, (Aug, 29!!) I have a wonderful husband of 9 years who is very supportive of my hobbies and endeavours.

What is the name of your Shop?
My Etsy shop name is AuroasThings. I named it this simply because my name means Aurora.

Do you belong to a Team on Etsy?
I do not currently belong to any Etsy teams. I am, however, looking for the right fit for me as I sell a variety of arts and crafts. I have a few teams in mind, though :)

What are your goals for your crafting?
My goals are to bring joy and happiness to anyone who find that they like my things. I love to create and learn how to do new things so just crafting brings me joy.

Please describe your creative process.
Oh, there are so many ways that I work, lol. I like to craft just about any free chance I find, when the kids nap or when they want to help (my oldest may begin her own shop! We'll see.) The materials I use are different based on what I am inspired to make. I use the highest quality materials for each item. I love sterling silver for my jewelry, the best yarn I can find for my crocheting, I'm pretty much a brand shopper when I comes to that. I also love to recycle, reuse and repurpose. I make new crayons out of old ones (we have sooo many old broken crayons...), really cool paper beads from magazines that I've finished reading and I send out all my jewelry in giftboxes that I've made from greeting cards.

Where do you find the inspiration for your designs?
Everywhere! I look to nature for my jewery. There is no way to beat the beauty found outside!

How did you get into your craft? How long have you been crafting?
I have been crafting since I was a little girl. My Meme taught me to knit when I was about 8 years old and my grandmother-in-law taught me to crochet when I was 19. For the rest I am self-taught, I research and poor over techniques, I love learning!

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
Apart from creating things, I raise my children. I try to create in them a love for kindness and responsibility. To love those who may not love them and to take care of the earth and what God has given to them.

What made you decide to focus on your crafting and make it a business?
Honestly, living in this state. I love Maine, It is a beautiful place, but our cost of living is very high, as I am sure most areas are nowadays. My husband also encouraged me to try this out because we are running out of places to put or use everything I make, :)

How do you market or promote your items and where can we see it?
For now, I am only on Etsy with my handmade things, I really love the community there. I spend time in the forums talking to others, everone is so kind and genuine, It is such a change from eBay, where I sometimes sell non-handmade items. My username there is cherrytree830.

What is your favorite Item in your shop?
I would have to say that my Sterling Silver bracelet made with Swarovski Crystals and the matching earrings are my favorites. I really enjoyed creating these and feel that they are unique to other pieces that can be found online.

1 comment:

Aurora said...

Thanks so much for featuring me! P.S. Your post on a crafters "work" was right on! That is sooo like my day, :)
Thanks again, -Dawn

Etsy Bloggers