Saturday, July 5, 2008

AppleOranges

The featured Etsy Artisan this week is AppleOranges.

Tell me a bit about yourself. -

I'm a 24-year-old graphic artist from Massachusetts. I am interested in any kind of art I can get my hands on. I paint (oils and acrylics), cross-stitch, crochet, knit, draw, take photos, everything! I'd also rather be outside than inside, so you'll find me in the ocean, atop Mt. Washington (climbed it with my boyfriend last September), in a lake, or in my backyard. I umpire girl's softball as a second job and I am also learning to play guitar.

What is the name of your Shop? -

Apples & Oranges appleoranges.etsy.com

Do you belong to a Team on Etsy? -

No, not yet. I'm still trying to get myself started and I don't want to commit to anything that I can't find the time for.

Where do you find the inspiration for your designs? -

I have a BFA in Graphic Design, but I have always felt that making tangible things is far more satisfying. I often only have to go as far as my wardrobe to find color combinations that I love and feel would be great with a piece of jewelry to go with it.

How did you get into your craft? -

On my 17th birthday, my aunt (who also made jewelry) took me into Harvard Square. There is a bead store there, and I instantly thought, "I could make this instead of buy it!" It began as a selfish craft and a way for me to get great jewelry without spending a ton of money on junk that would only fall apart.

How long have you been crafting? -

In general, I've been an artist my whole life. I never spent a lot of time in front of the TV, I was always nose deep in some new craft book.

What made you decide to focus on your crafting and make it a business? -

I've been selling on and off for a while, and everyone has always been supportive and told me that I should go public and get serious about it. I never get sick of it, and I hope this pans out, because it's really what I love to do.

How do you market or promote your items and where can we see it? -

I do craft fairs in my home town, there is a big one coming up in September called Yankee Doodle Weekend in Billerica, MA. And of course also at my shop Apples & Oranges

What is your favorite Item in your shop? -

Oh, man. Probably this one: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12960468 I love the butterfly effect that the drop beads create, and I love how sleek it looks with a black dress or even a brightly colored one.


Do you have any future plans you'd like to share with us? -

Right now I've got some napkins that I'm going to attempt to make into bags and change purses. I've got two quilts under my belt, so the sewing part should be easy!

Do you have any advice to share with other people who create? -

Don't stop loving it. If you start to hate it or get frustrated, have another outlet. I play guitar, and I know I can't sell that, so that helps calm me down when I get discouraged or down.

No comments:

Etsy Bloggers